If you are at a place that it makes sense to have your parent(s) or in-laws move into your home but do not have the room for it, then building out a basement apartment is the perfect choice for you.
Ideas to transform your basement into a livable apartment
- Building a bedroom with room for a queen size bed, night stand(s), dresser drawers and closet space so they can sleep comfortably.
- Living room area that would include room for a couch, coffee table, end table as well as a flat screen TV. And, make sure to wire for cable and to give them internet access too.
- Room for a fireplace, then we highly recommend that you add it to your basement apartment. It adds to the ambience of the basement, and it keeps the basement warm when being used.
- Compact Kitchen Area complete with stove, oven (with exhaust system), cabinets, sink, dishwasher (if possible), refrigerator and microwave. Plus make sure to have room for a small dinette set and proper lighting.
- If you have a walkout basement, then you might want to consider adding bigger windows to brighten up the basement apartment for them
- Build a bathroom that is open and easy to get around. If your in-laws are older, putting as few barriers in the bathroom and shower as possible to make it easy to get around. Grab bars and easy in-and-out shower stall with a seat would be helpful as well.
- Privacy and soundproofing is very important when building an apartment in your basement, for both your in-laws and you. This would not just include the walls, but also enclosing the stairwell for complete privacy.
- For comfort, having proper Heating, air-conditioning and humidity control is a definitely something that any finished basement should have.
- Wireless Intercom system for communicating with your in-laws.
- Smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors, to help protect everyone in the home!
These are just some of the considerations when creating a Basement Apartment for your In-Laws or even if it is rent out for additional income.
Lets Get Started
If you are looking to have a fully functional basement apartment built-out in your home, please contact us to schedule an appointment by either calling us at (303) 829-3374 or to email us, Click Here.